Monday, May 2

Week 17, Day 4 (Beached whale imitations)

I've often joked that soon there won't be enough room for anyone else in our King-sized bed than me and my parasite (as Wayne lovingly refers to Tadpole on occasions), but the joke is getting too real for amusement.

Baby is growing fast, and is quite lively. She repositions herself on what seems an hourly basis; sometimes she's lying almost vertically, sometimes horizontally, and sometimes she's got her feet stuck out to the side but up on an angle. If I roll over in the night without checking the 'lay of the land' as it were, I can find myself in the unamusing situation of "enjoying" baby's rollover about two seconds after I do. We're not even half way yet - I reckon a block and tackle might be required in another couple of months.

She loves it when I give the belly firm strokes (but what she doesn't know is I'm not just making contact, I'm also encouraging her to change position OFF my hipbone before I roll over). She booted Badger the other night as Badg snoozed on my knee - cats can look really astonished when the "cushion" kicks back!

A mate keeps asking if our Congo African Grey knows I'm pregnant - the answer is "very unlikely, and why would she care?" The mammals, on the other hand, give every indication of knowing, and demonstrate their concern by varying degrees. The cats couldn't give a monkey's except short-lived curiousity from time to time, but The Poodle knows, and shows every indication that her wolf genealogy isn't far from the surface. In a wolf pack, the Alpha Bitch's pups are the responsibility of the entire pack, particularly the other females. Protect the Alpha Female and her pups at all costs, no matter what.

Pood demonstrates this daily. If I walk up to someone, she's cool with it (but watchful). However if anyone other than the Alpha Male (Wayne) approaches ME, lookout! I doubt she'd bite unless pushed into it, but let's not test that theory. I can't go anywhere (even the loo) without my Honour Guard (she's a bit late to be protecting my honour, LOL!), and if I so much as think about leaving the house without her, she goes off her nut. Where-ever I am, she is, or at the very least, she's got me in her sights and I dare not attempt to hide from her.

If I leave her in the car while I (say) do the banking, she has to sniff me all over on my return, and nuzzle the belly to reassure herself that the puppy is well and unharmed. Such is her adoring relief that you can't help being charmed (and often have to remind her to get her snout out of the coffee cup you're holding). "Just checking for nasties, Mum!"

The knitting is going well, and I'm enjoying it. Wayne keeps glancing over at me and giggling to himself (at least if he's snickering about the knitting he's not sniggering about the increasing belly). Caught a glimpse of myself in a shop window today and was AGHAST at how much I'm showing. Good grief.. I thought I dressed to camouflage today, but apparently not!

I wonder if Auntie Poodle will be allowed in the delivery suite? Probably not...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home