Son & Air

Braeden is seven months old on Friday. Where has the time gone!!
Autumn is giving way to wintery blasts, and the bedroom was getting too cold at night for our wee man. At his 3-4 am feed/change sessions it took ages to get his wee popsicle fingers to thaw out to our satisfaction. Bubs didn't seem to mind, but we did, so a trip to the hardware store was in order.
A couple of days ago we installed an air ducting system which takes the warm air from above the log fire and sends it down to the bedroom, pump-assisted. It's not as noisy as I expected, probably because my clever DIY'er mounted the pump on a thick pad of rubber.
The trip down to the bedroom still requires thermal underwear as you navigate the hallway, but once in the bedroom itself, it's surprisingly comfortable.
Just before the installation Braeden took it upon himself to abstain from his usual 5am "Hello World!" sparrowfarties, and now prefers to go through to about 6.45am. An entirely more reasonable and civilised hour, his parents agree.
We're back to just one wakeup during the night (or at least a wakie that requires more attention than playing Hunt The Dummy). This is also a thankful improvement, but I'm still finding it next to impossible to get back to sleep afterwards.
We also pinched one of the large wool carpet sections that was earmarked for the new office and have laid it in the lounge, sort of like a large mat. This also made a remarkable difference to the overall tropicality of the house - bring on the umbrella drinks ;-)
The fat-spurt seems to have slowed and maybe rescinded a little. Thanks very much, Wino, for your reassurance :-) I was much heartened to hear it's common, and the next day I got back from a client visit to find my baby standing up to welcome me.
Okay so his dad put him in that position, but Mr CleverFeet stayed there for many minutes, happily playing with his slipper until he decided being a big boy was old news, and in the spirit of many a team-building seminar, threw himself backwards into his father's hands.
That second bottom tooth has finally come through, but if we thought we were in for a small reprieve we were quite mistaken. The next day two cherry-red cheeks gave us scant warning of the escalation of dribble (is that possible?) and the return of Mr Great Grey Grumpy.
I nearly didn't take him to Mum & Baby group today, such was his dark mood, but figuring I could always bring him home again if the distraction of other people didn't work, we went anyway. Good thing we did - it cheered him up no end to forget about his tender mouth and to impress the other babies with his rendition of the World According To Gargle.
I didn't realise babies went through a gargling phase. It came hard on the heels of the MumMumMum and BubBubBub and NnnHhh NnnnHhhh NnnnHhhh days. Unlike the others, however, it seems to be much more fun and we've been listening to this Top 20 hit for about a week now.
Well it was good for a giggle amongst the other babies today, and a few startled and amused glances from the other mothers :-)
Wonder what it will be next week?

Braeden on his new potty, which plays a tune when he adds some "liquid". Next stop, a motorbike :-)

I don't like "walkers" but I would be lost without Braeden's exersaucer where he can sit or stand as he chooses, and play with any of the ten built-in toys he swivels around to access at his pleasure. When he's older and more interested in cars, the exersaucer clips into a figure 8 shape on the floor, complete with a car track, and loading bays for such vital cargo as balls.
Yep - another Trade Me bargain :-)

5 Comments:
Such toys I have never seen! It's a veritable paradise at your place. I'm thinking I'll have a bit of a regression and be your second child, ok? This stuff is AMAZING!!!
The place is looking really good and it's so nice to see Wayne looking happy and relaxed. I didn't realize how haggard he'd been in some of the pictures until you posted the more recent ones. Hope that means life is slipping into a workable routine for you both.
Winter? That always catches me off guard... we're just finally hitting our summer stride out (up?) here.
Mr. Porker is looking fine to me, BTW. I have seen babies his age completely buried in rolls of fat who slim down just fine in time. Baby fat is NORMAL, NORMAL, NORMAL! My best friend has three slim handsom sons who looked for all the world to me like slugs when they were little. (Don't tell her that please!) Yeah, I know, I have none and know little, but really honestly glad to see you aren't going to fret on this one!
He's perfect. WOW.
Right, that settles it, am going to get one of those vent things to channel the heat down to the other end of the house. Have been wondering whether they work.
Braeden certainly has no shortage of hair! And he doesn't look more than baby chubby to me. Now he can stand up he'll be wandering round the furniture soon... move the video higher if it isn't already BTW or don't let the kid have cruskits unattended. :-)
I'd be happy to adopt you, Mamabeek, but on the understanding that you come potty trained & wash your own damn bottles ;-) The neat thing about spoiling your kid with toys is that the parents get to play with them too. Braeden's very lucky - his grandparents have been very generous, plus all the bargains we've picked up on online auctions & garage sales means he's had a lot of bang for a small buck.
Poor old Wayne - he got caught on film a lot, whereas I tried to stay behind the camera because I feared for the lens. You're right though - as I live with that lovely furry face every day I'd missed how ratted out he looked as it kinda snuck up on us.
Re fat baby.. well he hit another growth spurt in the last week or so, plus I changed his formula because the thickened one was only made in Newborn style which is far too rich a diet for a kid who eats a lot of solids. As a result he's turned the pork around and is now almost back to the nicely shaped kid he was earlier. But don't worry, he was incredibly fat a few weeks back! Just count the chins on his one-tooth grinning photo and you'll see what I mean :-)
Wino - definitely agree on the cruskits, or any other kind of munchies. Kidlet seems to find most things appetising; yesterday I found him busily trying to bite the buttons off the sofa, which was cute for a nanosecond then the worries kicked in (hygenic? chokeworthy??) and he was removed, much to his annoyance.
The air exchanger thingywhatsit is on special at the moment at Bunnings, if there is one handy to you. $150-odd, from memory, and worth every penny. I actually spent most of last night on top of the covers, in a very comfortable warmth. Not bad for a 2 degree frost outside & draughty old wooden windows :-) You are supposed to get an electrician to wire it in .. (grin wink nudge) ;-)
darn husband has just gone to town and I didn't put Bunnings on his shopping list (I'm basking in the sunshine in my dressing gown watching horses graze - seemed like a good plan to me). As for the wired in by an Electrician - the man who wired up his parents garage when he was nine (what were they thinking letting him do that!) has a ticket to play with things electrical these days and if he didn't he probably still would *grin*
Heh heh.. at least yours has a ticket to ride :-) Mine doesn't have the paperwork, but a natural aptitude (good thing someone in the family is practically-minded, because I am more nerd than word). He's incredibly indignant that the law now states that a registered builder must be on hand for any renovations, ditto plumber, electrician etc if any of these systems are affected.
I keep reminding him that it's because of the idiotic few who ruin it for the rest of the DIY'ers, but his return argument is that this is what Building Inspectors are for. Ie, if you messed up, make you get a professional to put it right. He further states that this is why people are reluctant to get resource consent ... (exits stage left, whistling.. hee hee)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home