Wednesday, May 4

Week 17, Day 6 (Movie review & other bits n pieces)

Do you enjoy Science Fiction? Perhaps the classic Brit shows from the 60's & 70's are more your thing, or even a good comedy? If you answered 'yes' to any of the above, then I recommend you do not waste your money going to see "Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy'.

We love our SciFi, and from the first showing of HGTTG on NZ tv back in the early 80's, I've been a fan of Douglas Adams' excellent work. So when yesterday didn't turn out to be a day either of us felt like working, it didn't take much convincing to go to the movies. After all, once Taddy arrives, movies might be a forgotten pleasure.

I hate it when people publish spoilers, so I won't go into ruinous detail, or give away the plot. What I felt was most disappointing about this movie was that it had great potential - the casting was mostly magnificent (but am I alone in the universe to be soooooo sick of John Malkovich and his ubiquitous roles as weird villains? Honestly... I see his name on the credits of a movie these days, and it's enough to make me pass it by. Wish I'd spotted him before we'd bought the tickets, it might have saved us $20).

The character of 'Trillian' was a huge improvement on the simpering satin-clad ninny of the original show. Zaphod however wasn't anything like as delicious, and that head-thing was just revolting. Other than that, the rest of the casting was inspired. The delectable Alan Rickman provides the voice of 'Marvin', and while I was disappointed not to get to ogle at His Deliciousness, at least we were treated to his incredible voice.

The movie starts out true to the tv series, then about half way through things get very weird indeed. New scenes and plot added, old favourites removed completely, and it just got very silly and rather pointless. Whoever reworked the plot needs to be taken out and shot, but only after they are made to apologise to the memory of one of the cleverest plot twisters & master of quips and puns, the much-missed Douglas Adams. (If you've never read any of his books, I suggest you remedy that immediately. He reads even better than his screen adaptations. This, btw, goes double for Terry Pratchett. Gotta hand it to the Poms - when they are good, they are damn good!)

The creatures were interesting (we cheered to see the original 'Marvin' in one scene, even though he wasn't at all acknowledged in the script), and the special effects ranged from moderate to mildly spectacular. Very derivative though... if you watch a lot of SciFi or fantasy stuff, you'll spend the whole movie playing "who did that first/better".

I was bored about 20 minutes in, and gave in completely to sleep about half way. Was quite annoyed to be woken up in time to see the end. Wayne told me I didn't miss much (actually I didn't miss anything, I was in 'cat sleep' where you softly snore while being aware of everything around you, half opening an eye every now and again in the hopes of being entertained ... vain hope).

Changing the subject...
Wayne's started reading baby books again, and woke me this morning to share the fascinating snippet that it is within 'normal' bounds for a baby to defecate anywhere from 15 times a day, to once in three weeks. My experience of babies has reflected 'more' rather than 'less', and I think if my child failed to poop in a week I'd be already at the doctor's asking for a thorough check-up!

Knitting going well - slowly due to the RSI, but well. To my delight, I found some baby wool in bright colours and have been busy making colourful wee accessories and working my way up to a layette. White is nice, but I'm soooo not a pastels girl. How cool to find teal, deep violet, magenta, jaffa and other yummy colours to brighten up this kid's wardrobe. Knitting only in pastels would make me go postal in a few hours!

Waiting to hear when we're booked in for our 3D scan.. very hard to juggle clients who are partial to advance bookings, when at the mercy of an overloaded radiology department. Wayne freaked a bit to discover they're about 2 weeks behind schedule at the moment; partly because we are anxious to get the 'all clear', and partly because we'd really like to know NOW what we're having.

I don't care what I have, as long as it's not a giraffe. Out of respect for Tina and others who have asked not to know until baby is born, I won't post the sex on here, continuing to refer to Tads as "she" as I have always done, and you'll just have to keep guessing. Those who want to know can ring or email me to find out, but remember guys, keep it under wraps because we don't want to spoil it for those who are looking forward to being surprised :-) Let's hope we find out soon, eh?

2 Comments:

Blogger ~T~ said...

I'd better be on your e-mail list for the "What we are having" announcement! And ignore my blogger identity and the link (the comments won't get rid of it). It's a satellite blog of mine that I'm probably going to abandon due to my own lack of interest.

-Tam

2:05 am  
Blogger Karl said...

No worries, Tam :-) As the Uncaged crew haven't yet asked to be kept out of the loop, I can post the result there (with the heading letting those who might NOT want to know understand that there's a spoiler in the title). Good to see ya, mate! Scritches to your babies :-) :->

5:59 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home