Wednesday, November 2

Two weeks old (Things that make you go Peh!)

Nature has a way of making sure you *want* to tend to your little bundle of screams, upchucks, pooey naps & tantrums. Your hormones or internal programming (or both?) make sure every single thing your baby does is unbearably attractive.

Like Braeden's grunts. My favourite one is the noise he makes when you change his position: Pehh!

Kid's got more whistles, burps, grunts and hics than a bagfull of budgies. And each one is just too damn adorable.

We've had an interesting week...

Braeden has gained 11 ounces (that's .25 of a kilo) in the last week, making him a tad shy of 10lbs in weight. To get there, he's had me fooled that he's being cruelly starved and has SCREAMED the place down if I failed to empty both boobs into him, plus 50-100 ml of formula milk as well.

Every second or third feed, he upchucks the lot spectacularly and we have to start again. Kid's inherited my 'projectile of mass destruction' gene, also with no warning. Robyn says he's overfull when he does that, and I tend to agree.. but I defy anyone to look into that red sobbing face and not want to do whatever he asks to make him happy again.

So we trick him. We make breaks in the feeds and insert nappy changes, games, and lots and lots of walks around the house or garden. This means feed time takes about two and a half hours (and I'm a write off afterwards) but he tends to keep them down now, and is only getting about 120 mls per feed, which is about right Robyn reckons.

Between Braeden and my electric breastpump, my nips are about to fall off and disintegrate. No teeth, but he's quite good at getting a firm grip then violently twisting his head. You can tell when he's done this because a horrible screech is emitted from his mother, and the words "that's NOT a bloody takeaway!" can often be heard from a distance of about a kilometre.

Right now I'm huddled at the computer (which Braeden peed all over yesterday morning.. ask his father what happened) with a snoremonkey snuggled up to my chest, with his bottom resting on the desk. He really should be in bed but it's taken me since 7am to get him to THIS stage, so I'm not brave enough yet to risk it. At least while he's there I can type with more than one hand, which is a definite step up :-)

Btw, while Mr Piglet is piling on the grams, they're pouring off me. The last week of pregnancy saw me retain a horrible amount of fluid, pushing the pregnancy weight gain to 13 kilos and some change (ugh!). Two days after coming home, I'd only lost 2.5 kilos, and that was all baby! All that fluid they pumped into me sat there and more than compensated for the other stuff I lost when we had bubs.

But this last week, there's been a big shift. I am now down to (insert a MAJOR drum roll here!)

(are you ready for this???)

.3 kilos above my pre-pregnancy weight. That's right, 300 grams. If I could find where I stashed my jeans, I'd be back in to them already. Given how much walking I have to do to keep this kidlet content between guzzles, and that I'm continuing to breastfeed, let's hope the fat continues to burn off.

Anyhoo, Dad's home and it's a good time to snatch some breakfast before Grumblemunchkin wakes up and starts roaring for a third course. Breakfast at 12.20pm. That's a new record!

3 Comments:

Blogger wino said...

Grrr you bloody women that drop the baby weight of in about a week make me spit! Had a friend that lost 15kg while breastfeeding and eating what she wanted. Next door neighbour is back down to skinny six weeks after the birth. I've still got my pregnancy weight gain 16 years later! (life isn't fair!)

No seriously well done. I am pleased you are giving in to Braedans every whim too - I hate hearing people insisting that baby needs training before it's a month old (apparently the hospital in Hamilton has a 'Baby Boot Camp' where they leave them for four hours between feeds and cuddles to train them!) Child abuse I say! I'm sure you will have a happier more selfconfident child for putting up with the angst for a month or two.

1:19 pm  
Blogger Karl said...

Yeah, it's just one of those many parenting situations that no matter what you do, it's going to be thought all wrong by someone, somewhere. I've already been severely tut-tutted that I haven't "got this child into a routine". My stock answer to this is "Oh I will, when I work out what routine he wants!"

The way I see it, I was a baby too far back to remember, so Braeden's a better judge of what he needs than I am. A routine will come, but not when he's so little. Besides, if he's anything like his mother (and I think he's a lot like his mother in temperament), then getting into a battle of wills is a very bad idea. As I keep telling Wayne, "Better to agree with me instantly, and let my own second-guessing nature talk myself into doing exactly what you wanted me to do in the first place, but were too smart to push the point."

Re the baby boot camp.. that is horrific!!!! Can you imagine the awful atmosphere in that place, even if all the kids were asleep? (shudders)

Btw, I *wish* I could in someone's wildest dreams be considered skinny! I was seriously chubbed before baby, and I'll never be Elle MacPherson, so it's all a bit of a laugh really. Very cool to be back in jeans though, after frumping it so much in the last few months ;-)

10:32 am  
Blogger wino said...

LOL I guess I feel about baby training the same way as I do about homosexuality - anyone else can do what they like as long as they don't make me do it too... First plunket nurse I had left a note on the file that the second (more relaxed plunket nurse showed me) apparently I had an attitude and was not taking advice. The advice at the time was put the kid to bed and let him yell. (serves me right for thinking I could moan and get sympathy about the pacing round the house at midnight) That, like most things do, did pass. I'm with Braeden, sleeping on your stomach is much better (mind you my mother was told to sleep us on our stomachs or we would all choke to death - times have changed)

5:36 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home