Picking your battles

(What a cute grin! I can refuse this child nothing, and I defy anyone to feel otherwise)
I get greedy sometimes.
First off, it was time to lower the baby's cot height before he one day decided to clamber out. Nah he's not quite there yet, but best NOT to find out the hard way when he is!
Then it was decided to affix blankets over the windows to further darken the room. All this was done on one day. Baby was a bit taken aback by the changes, but not too badly.
Then that night, I decided it was time he learned to go to sleep without the dummy.
Yeah. A bridge too far. Three strikes and you're out!
After a pitched battle of more than an hour, I caved. Poor little bugger.. I wish I hadn't tried, now.
He's fairly forgiving though, and settled back into his routine pretty quickly..
.. only to throw it out the window entirely last night when he had a bit of the ouchies, and needed a monster feed and mucho cuddles at 4 am. I didn't like the wheezy quality of his cry (probably just tired baby, but best to err on the side of caution) so I sat up listening to him, watching the breathing monitor tick off each breath. Wayne woke around 5 and found me, and made me get up off the floor (no seat by the cot any more) and get into bed.
Braeden woke at 8am for once (instead of his usual 5 or 6 am), and Wayne kindly took him off for breakfast in the lounge, letting me sleep an extra hour.
Or that was the plan! Some bloody cropduster decided to use this morning and our house as his focal point. What kind of dumb ass continually overflies a house with a large aviary (and birds going beserk at the large "hawk"), and failed to notice five manic horses about to rupture fences in their panic?
Asshole. I was quite tempted to throw spuds at him but exhaustion prevailed. Yeah, he was that low that you could have hit him with a hand-thrown missile. I just hope he wasn't dropping any nasties on our farm as he sprayed the neighbour's lucerne (two farms away, I ask you!).
Anyhoo, it sounds like my wee darlin is waking from his lunchtime nap, so it's time to go rescue him from the cot, but before I do, here's one of the three baby birds in our aviary at the moment.
This is a baby Barraband, and will be brilliantly green, gold and red when s/he's grown. This is the largest chick, and (despite aerial idiots) all babies are thriving.
With Braeden, playing on the floor at Grandma's

1 Comments:
OMG that baby Barra is ADORABLE!!! One of the few times a 'blue baby' is a good thing, eh? LOL! And of course the other baby is pretty darned cute too. Sorry you and he aren't well. Maybe if you both spend some time look at the barra babies you'll all be less blue. =)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home