Week 38, Day 7 (Are we there yet?)
We "went again" last night.
Not the gentle, regular, expected progress of the night before. Oh no.
Last night was a mishmash of high voltage surges, choppy cervical smashes and the usual insistent belly squeeze. The timings varied all over the place - 5 min, 1 min, 7 min, 30sec, 21 min, etc. There was nothing at all fluid or predictable about any of it, except that the really bad ones were triggered by baby's deepening wriggles.
And just to make things so much more enjoyable, the bloody phone kept ringing. I counted five people ringing six times within half an hour, four of whom had to talk to me despite it being the last bloody thing I wanted. There are times you could strangle call waiting.
One was a client, and even though I gritted out "not terribly focused right now, having contractions", that phone call went on the longest.
I do not recommend riding out painful crampings while trying to formulate a business plan for a client, over the phone. But we got there.
Anyway, after the calls, the cramps died off and I collapsed into the armchair in exhaustion.
That respite was short lived because it all started again at 10pm-ish, and went on til after midnight. By that time I was so bejiggered that I said "oh to HELL with this, I'm going to bed" and did. The contractions stopped as soon as I fell asleep.
At 4.55am I woke for 'the usual', and started worrying about my baby. Two nights of this maniacal belly dance, if I was very sore, how was he feeling?
It took me fifteen minutes of pelvic lifts and belly taps to wake him up. Finally, when I was just a hair's breadth from flipping out, he roused and kicked me a few times. Good baby, glad to see you're okay in there. Love you lots!
So today I'll ask Robyn what gives with this, is it usual, does it mean anything, and how bloody much longer is this going to go on?
If I thought I was sore yesterday, that's small fry to today's aches.
So if all goes quiet on the western front, it's possible we're having this kid :-) I don't know who would be more relieved - baby or mum!

4 Comments:
Eek, really hope you have this lad soon (like today) it sounds like no fun at all! Surely you can't go too much longer...
The client that persists in talking to a woman having contractions isn't the most helpful, perhaps you needed to break off the conversation occasionally to scream, sob, pant or all of the above to get the message across.
Oh and do you get the 'are you still there' calls yet? Went two weeks over with the first son, was going to throttle the friends and in laws that rang every day to see if I had had it yet... (actually the other thing I did was went to a wedding 10 days overdue. People got funny looks on their faces and sidled away after asking when the baby was due and being told Wednesday last week, like they expected me to go into labour and deliver on the spot.)
Karl.... you are a bit suspiciously quiet..... are you there?
Hi Rach! Good to see you :-) Hey, I hear Kim McL and Debee N have each had their babies, and half the local riding clubs seem to be pregnant if the rumours are correct (grins). How's your show season going? Scritches & smooches to your fids (furry kids)!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home