Sunday, October 16

Week 41, Day 3 (We have a DATE!!!)

So we toddled off to the midwife appt on Friday, only to find that Carol had been called in to help deliver a baby (imagine!), and were ably attended by Lincoln's resident midwife in her absence.

What a cool lady! I guess some people might think orange dreads, a lip ring and bare feet a bit unusual, but not me. I get more put off by conventional folk (mundanes) than the true originals. Blame my innate rejection of The Establishment, if you like ;-)

So it was a fun check up, and she told me exactly how to handle the ObGyn we were scheduled to meet at 3.15. No pussy footing around - just tell him what you want, and being a cruisy dude, he'll make it happen for you.

WhoooHOOOOO!! Power! I love it, give me more!

I was still pretty nervous about "Clinic" though - after all, I'm not the right shape to go jumping through hoops if hoop jumping were to be required, and I'm too impatient to wait much longer. Would they dick me around for the sake of stats and averages, or would they realise that it's Be Kind To Exploding Mothers week, and cut me some slack?

I worried for naught. Simon was in fact a totally cruisy dude, and after a very short interview and exam, informed me he was signing me off and I could have my induction as soon as there was space for me on the labour ward. "Get your midwife to book you in, and good luck with the birth" he grinned as he ushered me out.

No charge either. And I got an amazing cappuchino in their waiting room! (Pity I didn't get to finish it)

So I promptly got hold of Carol, and begged for the soonest possible date. After admonishing me that she was NOT going to book me in over the weekend (but if you go spontaneously that's another story, you pushy wench), she made the necessary arrangements and advised that 8am Tuesday, be up at the labour ward and get ready to wave your legs in the air like you just don't care.

This weekend Wayne and I are supposed to be molesting the hell out of each other, but now he's caught my flu (dammit), all bed is good for is snoring in.

Not that I'm getting a lot of THAT either at the mo.. between cats coming & going, the dog snuffling & snoring, Wayne sending the pigs to market and Braeden kicking the hell out of my insides all damn night long, I'm getting maybe 20 mins at a time. Little bugger.. sleeps all day, then wakes up and kicks all night. Lovely to feel him, but I'm getting more and more knackered at a time I should be recuperating & recharging.

Last night I gave up, and took my duvet to the couch at 4.30am. Gave up on that too, after an hour, and went out and slept in the car.

Have YOU ever tried to sleep in a sedan, when you're at the mercy of a large mobile bump?

The driver's seat was out of the question - steering wheel.
Ditto passenger's seat - plastic wrapped (I don't sleep in jammies)
Most of the back seat was taken up with the baby seat, but I got the other half, sorta, and hunched there miserably sleeping in fits & starts til Wayne woke me at 8.16am.

Nasty wake-up call for him - got up to let the dogs out for a piddle and discovered the wife was awol!

He kindly put me back to bed, then took himself out to spray the garden for weeds. I woke a couple of hours later, still miserabubble with the flu but a lot more reasonable and less pouty!

I've got two days to get my last minute things together.. wish I had some ooomph to go with it. But in two sleeps, the big push is on and we get this kid under way.

That is, if he doesn't come bursting out through my ribcage in the mean time. I would not put it past him...

3 Comments:

Blogger Mamabeek said...

Well at least you'll have the inverted sleep thing down long before he's born. Might as well adapt to 20 minutes at a time all night, but perhaps you'll get to snooze all day? If the little bugger comes out already walking just get him one of those radio dog collar things and an invisible fence and go back to bed...

3:03 pm  
Blogger wino said...

Wahoo, you finally get to see what he looks like!

Obviously he's quite comfortable in there otherwise he'd have been out by now.

crossing fingers that it all goes well for you all. (Wayne is allowed to cry, most blokes do....)

8:49 am  
Blogger Karl said...

Mb - LOVE the idea of the collar & invisible fence! Especially with that water race only meters from the front door... (I'm already having nightmares about that).

Adrienne - brilliant idea about the photo! I might just do that later on today (cept it will have to be in Wayne's handwriting.. LOL.. unreadable!) I was planning on taking the camera for our post-inducement park walking, and getting a "nearly there!" pic in Hagley Park, but I can do both :-)

Wino - Oh yeah! I reckon he's already a looker, now to find out if he's a grizzler, a bawler or a pouter ;-) Dad might well be a cot case, but my money is on #1 Grandma to totally lose it and flood the place (grins, ducks, waddles awayyy)

Rach - Where's a ruddy horse float when you need one, eh??? I still can't believe I did that.. must have been delirious!

4:44 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home